Friday, January 8, 2010

What Can You Say?

Blogging is not my thing. I think thoughts and seldom write them out. Usually my written stuff ends up being a sermon. Not a message aimed at anyone else, more like sharing with others what God is doing in rattling my chain.

Yesterday was a typical (for now) strange day. Just after 8:00AM the intercom rang. It was the TaxiPost with a package. The trainee did not say much and the supervisor asked if I could come down there and get it. Most delivery people will come to the 6th floor. "No problem," I said, "I'll be right down." (Or at least that's the way you would say in in English)

At that time of the day the elevator is busy. Lately it has been having problems and is slow. You must understand it is only slightly larger than a telephone booth so rarely does it stop on another floor. So I waited. When it finally did arrive and the doors slooooowly opened, out stepped our neighbor. He had been down to get his morning paper. Of course he was asking about Lucy and how it has been going with her treatment. He is getting older and I still have an accent so the conversation is sometimes a little slow. At the end he said, "They are waiting downstairs with a package for you." Imagine that!

Went downstairs and got the package from Lucy's sisters. Always a surprise to open that. No one packs a box like they do. I sorted out the stuff to take to Lucy, finished the morning chores and headed for the hospital. Decided to walk up the hill to catch the bus since it had snowed and the walk would be nice. It has not been above freezing here for almost two weeks and they are running out of road salt. Snow makes it much easier to navigate.

Visiting hours begin late here, 2:30PM, and go until 8:00PM. The nurses on the transplant unit don't seem to mind my sneaking in early. The nurses on the unit through which you have to go to GET to the transplant unit are another story. Often there is a staring match with ugly looks. I usually win since I am not getting prettier with age.

Lucy was tired and nauseous so I let her rest. I took a call from a colleague checking on us. A pastor friend called and asked if he could come for a visit. Plus we had two colleagues coming to "replace" me so I could go to the oral surgeon. When it was time for them to arrive (still a little before visiting hours) I slipped out to meet them. Told the nurses in the unit I was meeting my replacements so the visitors would not have to ring the bell and disturb the nurses. They reminded me that is what they are paid to do, and I told them they had more important stuff than being our receptionists. The nurses I have met are really great people who care about the comfort and well being of the patients. We are building a bond and chatting about really important stuff. You know what I mean.

After the replacements arrived I took the bus to the other hospital to see the oral surgeon. One colleague had asked who was driving me home. I told him it would be one of my chauffeurs from De Lijn (Tram and Bus Company). We seldom drive in the city center.

Got to the hospital (actually slipped and slide) through the icy sidewalks and alleys. When I checked in at the desk it was the usual challenge of explaining why we do not have Belgian health insurance. At least he got the idea and we got the rest of the info into the computer. He printed out my "plakketjes" or stickers and gave me directions to the clinic. He added a handwritten note that said I had to pay immediately. No insurance, it is cash only. We do have American health insurance but they do not accept it here so we pay and are reimbursed.

When you get to the surgery area the sign says, 1) Check in at the front desk; 2) Find a seat; 3) The nurse will come get you. One and two were done so I waited on number three. Just before my appointment a woman in scrubs came out of the treatment room and said hello and headed down the hall. A little later, the nurse came and got me. She said the doctor would be right back that she had to go to . . . (you can fill in the blanks)

The oral surgeon discussed what she needed to do and all of the risks involved. Possible risks explained in your second language seem bigger sometimes, especially when she mentioned some might last for 6 months! She said since I did not have insurance was I ready to pay the entire bill. I asked her how much it would be and then told her I thought I could cover that. Not inexpensive but definitely cheaper than in America.

Before she got started she asked if I spoke English (Duh what tipped her off?!). I told her we could do this in either language but that I might make more sense in English when she had her hands in my mouth. She said she would do her best. Actually her English is probably as good as my Flemish. That is according to her. She said she only has one other English speaking patient that speaks better Flemish than me and he has been here almost three times as long as us. She was very complementary. I was flattered and asked if she thought all of this would go that well.

NO. She said she was expecting problems since this was not going to be very easy. (At the end she told me that if she had seen me early in her career she would have budgeted 4 hours for the procedure) Fortunately she has many years of experience even though she is younger than me. I can say she was right, it was not painful per say. However it was pretty uncomfortable. But there were a few times when she was leaning everything she had into it and I was wondering if I was going to be pushed through the chair. Finally she said we just need to cut and drill this out. Then the real fun began!

When she was done, the proudly showed me the pieces and we wrapped up the work. It was decided that she would print a bill and I could transfer the funds online. Not bad since my regular dentist is a cash (and cash only) on treatment guy. I asked the surgeon about giving me something for pain. They had given me a pain pill before they started. I told her I had a high pain threshold but once the pain went over that, over the counter stuff did not touch it. She gave me a prescription for basically some stronger over the counter stuff. As Lucy would say it is spit. She is sometimes colorful when it comes to pain meds. They really do not believe in strong pain meds here. The Flemish just tell you to "Bite your teeth". That was going to be harder since I was one short.

I missed a couple of buses on the way back and had to walk part of the way. Got to our pharmacist before she closed and asked about her new baby. She asked about Lucy. I asked if she had a picture of the new baby, she did not ask for a picture of Lucy.

Got home and did all the things the doctor told me to do. I was thinking she might be right that my face could be numb for months, but it is not. Pain is under control but certainly there. Hopefully the hole she sewed up will quit leaking and the "spit" pain meds will keep things bearable.

The regular postman brought a package while I was at the hospital so I have to wait until the post opens this morning to get it. It must be Christmas since this is two packages in a row without duty and tax on it. Most of the time we have to pay the ransom before they will release them.

I will bend the visiting hour rules again (more ugly stares) since today is stem cell re-infusion day. They are expecting it just after noon (or when the cells get here from the blood bank). Just after noon here is just after 6:00AM Eastern time.

I am praying for a minimal reaction (they are her own cells) but people can and do react to the preservative so the nurse has to be at the bedside during the entire procedure. Our regular day nurse is off today so we will see who we get. I am banking on the fact that they are all good, kind, caring and understanding. If not, I'm in trouble.

For all who are asking what you can do, the answer is still pray. Pray for God to get the honor and glory, and for us to stay on His plan and not ours. Pray for more opportunities to be salt and light and to be able to live an example of an exchanged and transformed life before people who have never seen one. If that is the opportunity we get, all this will be worth it.

Stay tuned for the next episode.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment