Sunday, January 10, 2010

Knowing something and KNOWING something

From years of ministry to those in hospitals and with chronic illnesses, I know there are good days and bad days in the healing process.

Today was one of the not so good days. I attended one of our partner churches and went to lunch with friends after the service. I had called Lucy in the morning and she knew I was going and going to be late getting to the hospital. She said she was feeling ok when I called her.

When I got there, she was not feeling good. Not feeling really bad, just not good. I know there will be days like this but experiencing them is something different. We have super nurses and her doctor is the head of the department and very committed to the care and the well-being of his patients. About the only thing he does not understand is that Americans (certainly these Americans) do not keep their homes as warm as most Flemish. But he does care.

I was working on the computer when he made rounds. He saw Lucy's computer on the bedside table and said it looked uncomfortable. He offered to find a desk for the room. Hey, I am not even the patient.

But with all that, Lucy was still not feeling well and we could not fix it. I know these days will come, but experiencing them is not a knowledge I enjoy.

Lucy and I make a good team. She is often the faith person and I am the works person. Between the two of us we find significant and effective ways to demonstrate what faith can to in a persons life. I have faith in God and the health-care professionals here. It's just that it feels like there should be something I can do to actualize that faith.

But I know God will care for us and am learning on how to KNOW that better.



No comments:

Post a Comment